Saturday 14 January 2012

Scrappy Saturday...

This is today's scketch - another easy one!!!!!  As it is now too dark for a photo to be taken of the page I did, it will be posted tomorrow.  So be sure to head on back to check it out!

Today I am going to share with you the Tools that I find are a Must Have to do any sort of craft, whether it be for Scrapbooking or Cardmaking. 

So you haven't done any scrapbooking before? 
How do I start?
What do I need?
It is too expensive to purchase all the products & supplies

Yes, it can be overwhelming....  Over the next couple of weeks, I will try to answer a few of the questions people ask all the time & are always shocked by the answers.

I've coplied a little bit of a list to help you along your way.  Mind you, if you are a crafter, cardmaker, etc, you will find that you have most of the "Must Have" stuff anyhow.  In fact, you will be surprised at how much "stuff" you will have & then forgotten about!

Basics -
Paper Trimmer - A great investment & a necessry "must have".  Scissors are grea, BUT over time, you will discover that Paper Trimmers will save you heaps of time, cut much straighter AND faster.  Always ensure your Trimmer has an extendable arm as this is great for 12" x 12" Cardstock or DSP (Designer Series Paper).   I always say to my customers, invest in good quality tools & you will have them for life!!!!


Adhesives/Glues - Ensure they are salways "Acid Free".  This means that your photos will not discolour over time.  A great example are the old albums we all had when we were kids with the plastic film over the photos.  Remember how the film peeled & how your photos turned yellow over time.  If you use "Acid Free" adhesives & glues, this will not happen.   You will find so many different adhesives, glues, etc out there that it can sometimes be confusing.  I know I get confused by choice we have, but I tend to stick to a couple of different ones that I use time & time again.

Snail Adhesive - Glides over the page, just like White Out!  They come in Disposable or Refillble.  Stampin' Up! have a fantastic one, which is refillable.

Multipurpose Liquid Glue - Temporary or Permanent.  Dual Tipped - small amounts using the small tip or larger amounts using the larger tip.  Excellent for adhering DSP to Chipboard, Stampin' Glitter to surfaces, Flowers, Buttons, etc.

Stampin' Dimensionals - Double-sided, self-adhesive foam mounts.  These little things are excellent for layering or giving that 3-D effect, eg making greetings stand out, attaching Bow, Tags, etc. 

Scissors - A great pair of scissors is a necessity.  Please do not skimp on this or you will be cursing every time you use them.  Fine tip is a good idea, especially for detailed cutting.  I have 1 pair for paper only, 1 for stamps, adhesives, etc while my Ribbon Scissors is just that - Ribbon Only!!!!

Embellishments - Ribbons, Flowers, Brads, Stickers, Rub-Ons, etc.  Please remember to use all your embellishments before purchasing more.  You will be surprised at how much you have in your "stuff". 

Journaling Pen - Ensure your pen is always Acid Free.  There are all sorts around on the market & come in so many different colours that it is mind-blowing.....  If I don't type my journaling on the computer, I use my Stampin' Write Journaler.

Albums - Come in 12" x 12", 8 1/2" x 11", 8" x 8" or 6" x 6".  Majority of DSP come in 12" x 12".  The size you like to scrap is a personal choice.  I like to do the 12" x 12", although I have done & do do
8 1/2" x 11".  Best bet is to think how many photos you have to scrap & then make the decision based on that.  Do you like to have multiple photos on one page?  Maybe you only have a few to scrap?  Then a smaller size would suit you better.   Remember, most scrapbooks are expandable, with refills pages available.  There are also different types of albums, most popular being Post Bound & Ring BoundPost Bound are held together with screw posts.  When purchasing refills, the post extenders do come with the refills.  Ring Bound are 3 ring bider style albums.  I must admit I use both, but much prefer the Ring Bound.
Cardstock - Comes in Cardstock & DSPCardstock is your single colour card & is thicker than DSP, Textured or Smooth.  DSP is just that - Pattern Paper.  It is either single or double sided.  SU! DSP is all double-sided - better value for money! 
Please remember this information is purely my opinion.  Everyone is different & I am sure there are people out there thinking I have left items off the list or put too much on, but it is only the basic tools which I find helpful & which I use every time.


Don't forget to come back tomorrow to check out how I created my page using the sketch provided.  Why not have a go yourself!  Not into scrapbooking, then create a card using the same sketch.

Remember, scrapbooking is meant to be FUN!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Good information and easy to follow. Can't wait to see more of these.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...